August 20, 2012

Made up loss

While most children in America are starting school today, or sometime this week, my kids have been back in school for 4 weeks already. School where we live is year-round. And although it’s been convenient for our family because of the way we travel during the odd season, I really really really wish my kids could’ve had a little bit more of a summer to enjoy. Especially my daughter. The few weeks of summer she had off, she was “working” as one of the main cast performers for a big show here in the valley. She actually started school the day after her last performance. I didn’t send her. She would have gotten barely six hours of sleep. She needed the rest and at least a day to recover…and so did I.

I want longer summers, the dreaded cold is approaching and the only months we have to enjoy the sun my kids spend half of those inside a classroom. I have an issue with that. So to compensate for it, I am taking them away during their October time off. While everyone will be wearing sweaters and making Halloween decorations, we will be walking barefoot on the sandy beaches in Mexico! Enough said!

And if their 2013 summer is cut short gain, I will find another destination and then the loss will be made up and then maybe I won’t feel so bad. Costa Rica has been on my mind…

Utah lacks a beach, instead we did the best we could with what we had:

The Splash Park

95fdb5fcd4fc11e1a46d12313813204c_7

Somersaults at the local pool

8809f492d5e711e19b5b1231381b21c5_7

The Water park with the funny guy dancing an island tune

3077b48ad9a711e192a722000a1e8b14_7

And the cupcake eating troop

a35a2c40d9a611e197621231381b4865_7

Colorful hats

cf28f3ced9a611e1a58222000a1e8815_7

When all that ended:

We met a new First Grade teacher and got reunited with an old soccer friend

a0c90bc2ea9011e182fd22000a1e8a9e_7

We looked fancy and ready on our “first” day of school

fdcfaf9cea9011e1a15422000a1e8939_7

And we walked together for the first time to and from school.

3524a042d74a11e1880f22000a1cbf36_7

 

While Mami watched you through the window as you went away, one or two tears came down for she simply wasn’t ready to let go…just not yet.

 

Con amor,

Vivian

10 comments:

  1. Hello I Love My Friends GFC Blog Hop-er! I actually recognize your blog from other blog hops. :) If you haven't already visited my blog, please check it out. (And follow.) Have a great week.

    Kristina
    http://www.yomichaelmichael.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what I would do if we had year round school..... I'm sure I would adjust, but I simply love summer. My kids don't start back until the first week of September and we are all enjoying these last few weeks together :) Mexico sounds fantastic and the memories you make will be treasured forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's crazy that school is such a long year for your kids. I bet they are going to loooooooooooove Mexico in October though. What a good Mami!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow school all year round. Mine are on their summer break atm and don't go back till sept.

    newest follower via the i love online friends blog hop :)

    Faye@Girl Does Geek

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute pictures! We love Summer, can't believe it is ending soon. A trip to Mexico sounds like a lot of fun. Hope the kids are loving school!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the water park pictures.

    Newest follower from TTWFI. Love for you to stop by and return the follow. Hosting Mom's Monday Mingle now. Love for you to link up!

    www.thenaptimereview.com

    hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been noticing that there are less and less of summers for kids. Can't decide if its a smart or cruel move. Looks like you wrapped up the summer nicely though. I liked first days of school when I had a nice legit tan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And here I was complaining about our shortened summer...and you don't even really get one at all! I'm so sorry!! I definitely take ours for granted. I used to think it sounded pretty nice, but I'm not sure I'd want the year-round school schedule anymore. :o/ At least Mexico goes pretty far in making up for it though! That's going to be a great vacation!!!

    P.S. What is your name on instagram? I'd love to follow your feed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're a sweet mum for thinking of them like that! I am curious as to why your kids go to school all year round where you live?
    Mexico sounds fabulous, what a great trip that will be!! :)
    I hope they enjoy the remainder of their summer before it gets cold!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you have lots of fun ahead! Year round school has its benefits and drawbacks, but it'll be so nice for them to have that break in October even though the summer gets cut short... sometimes it's better to spread out your fun to preserve your sanity :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete