July 29, 2012

Where I come from

Today I was telling my husband that the Olympics certainly do the BEST job at reminding you WHERE you come from.

I didn’t watch the Opening Ceremonies but I made sure to google/youtube the event at a later time and pay close attention to the Colombian Delegation. “How large was the delegation?” “What were they wearing?” “How happy and proud did they seem?” “Who was the flag bearer?”

I don’t know much about the Colombian athletes but I felt a sense of pride. I teared up as I realized most of them came from poverty and from a land short in opportunities. How many of them came close to even imagining someday they would be walking on English soil?

My favorite part of all was seeing them sport the sombrero vueltiao, one of the most traditional and known symbols of my country. delegation via

You can see me from time to time sporting it too. See it here. Or, recently, at the Colombian independence day celebration.326708_10150978629319895_1238312621_o

 

Rigoberto Uran won the first medal for my country in cycling on the first day of the games. Way to go!ciclismo via

 

A while back when the torch was on its way, look who got to carry it? El PIBE!!pibe via

In case you don’t recognize him, he is a star, one of the greatest living soccer players known to the FIFA and the us, the people. He is from the generation, when Colombian soccer, was at its strongest, the Golden Era for Colombian soccer.  My generation. Unfortunately, the new national teams, have struggled to live up to the legacy of the older generation. My last memories in the world of soccer (a way of life where I come from) ended when I moved here. That shows the difference that years and technology can make in one’s life and show you, how back then, it was so hard to follow anything that happened even only miles away. But my memories ended on a happy note, as you can see.

And since we are talking about soccer, the women’s Colombian team played they US. girlsoccervia 

I’ve never watched a soccer game in its entirety. I did today. And I had to hear statements from my oldest and sassiest daughter such as these: “She is pretty, she is not.”  “I am NOT interested in seeing this AT ALL.”  Statements are easy to deal with. But when questions come, that’s another story: “Why aren’t they wearing any make up? “Why do they keep pushing each other?” “Why do girls play soccer?” And for that, I had an answer: “I still don’t know why. In my generation, in COLOMBIA, there wasn’t a single girl who played that sport. Times have changed and I must be getting old…”

 

Have you been watching the Olympics?

 

Con amor,

Vivian

5 comments:

  1. I like the sense of country pride people get from watching the olympics. I am born and raised American, but I always wonder about people who have more than one country, it would be fun to have more than one team to care about! I'm looking most forward to the women's gymnastics :) I haven't watched soccer or many of the other sports.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can sense, in your words, the pride that you have for your country
    and think it's wonderful.
    it's bad but we have not been watching it... just kind of looking it up on the interenet when it comes up (bad, i know..just super busy with summer stuff right now).
    my son loves loves soccer (he just started playing at school) and i feel so bad that i don't know much about the sport. i've got to be better about that :I

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pride that the olympics bring out in everyone, too. It creates this beautiful sense of unity. The olympics is such a great event for the world to come together and focus on celebrating talent and dedication and hard work.

    Also, i just wanted to say that I really like your blog! New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with above, I love the pride that the Olympics bring out in everyone! I have been watching. I enjoyed the opening ceremonies and watching all the countries. Girl, you are rocking the sombrero vueltiao!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How neat Vivian!!! So glad you shared this with us, very moving and I adore your pride;)

    ReplyDelete