July 3, 2012

Fire…again!

There was another fire in my city this past weekend. I was out on my porch decorating it for the 4th of July when I started hearing the sirens, smelling the smoke and seeing it flow in the air. It was like reliving the same nightmare from two years ago when our city, above the very same mountains, had one of the worse fires in the history of our state. We were on vacation in Mexico, but I remember landing and turning on my phone to be bombarded with messages and calls from others letting us know of the calamities near home. We got home to watch the fire for a few more days.

Although they claim this fire didn’t start from fireworks, the last one did. And, in case you haven’t seen the news, my state, and the western side of the United States is burning. And to noone’s surprise, many of those fires, started from fireworks.

I don’t like fireworks. Never have. My kids are lucky if they get to be around them once a year, and that’s because our neighbors, friends or relatives usually share those with them. What at the beginning started as my own personal ban to fireworks, because I was determined to not waste a penny in something that lasts seconds and burns little fingers, now it’s a ban for the sake of my state.

I hope you stay safe and keep your loved one safes.

Happy 4th!

P.S. Just in case you were wondering, this is how my porch turned outffc55d4ac22e11e18bb812313804a181_7 

 

Con amor,

Vivian

3 comments:

  1. I hope the fires cease real soon so people can start rebuilding their lives or getting their lives back to normal.
    I totally agree about fireworks, such an absolute waste of money and so dangerous obviously!!
    Love your front porch, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 4th! Loving the new layout...I'm a bit late for the party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your porch has a dramatic and lovely effect Vivian. And with those fireworks, after my cousin got minor burns from a new year fireworks, we also never bought even a single piece of it again.

    ReplyDelete