January 26, 2012

Genuine

I went to dinner with a friend the other night. We talked about our fears and worries, about our dreams and goals, about our joys and sorrows. We talked about life.

People will be mean and disappointing. They will lie and hurt your feelings. They will find a reason to dislike you and criticize you. They will stop caring. They will come and go out of our lives. And you miss them…

I am sure I’m guilty of all of the above, too. After all, I’m part of the people and I’m just as imperfect as them.

The reality is that even with the struggles that present with our human interactions, we keep going, we move forward with hope in change, with lessons learned, and hopefully each time we make it better.

My kids have taught me a precious lesson throughout the years: You forgive. You forget. You become genuine. Genuine to care, genuine to befriend, genuine to love. And then everything else will follow and fall into place. 

I am not worried about how much I’m liked by others or admired by others or how much I can obtain from my relationships with others. To be honest, I’m not worried one bit. I am worried about applying the principles my children have taught me. They know better. And they seem to have all the answers to this complex world in small and simple ways. They are special spirits. If I can do something more as a mother, that is to become more like them: GENUINE!

Why don’t you try it, too? And then together we could make our world a better place.

The ones whom I learn from each. and. every. dayIMG_20120118_164610 (1)-1

 

P.S. And because some things don’t need learning and are simply naturally inherited from older to youngest -model attitude- (ha!)Downloads13

 

Linking up with Project Alicia, Seven clown circus, The paper mama, Live and Love out loud, Parenting by dummies and Naptime momtog.

15 comments:

  1. This was a sweet post Vivian and your kids are certainly super cute!!
    I agree, children teach us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reminding me to be GENUINE Vivian. I am not a mother, hence I do not have that opportunity to learn from kids... I always appreciate this kind of posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kids are just darling Vivian. You seem like so much fun and such a good friend. I wish we could hang out in real life!
    I learn so much from my daughter too- about courage, and confidence and being yourself. I also learn about forgiveness and love. I am still learning about being genuine, but I know I have come so far since I became a mom, and since I've started my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen.
    Those little souls can teach is so much about life.
    They are precious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I *genuinely* enjoy reading your posts. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the model posing!!! Great post, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, thanks for the reminder Vivian! Awesome post
    ♥ Kyna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I read another post last night about giving people the benefit of the doubt. And your post added perfectly to what I was already thinking. I want to be better at that! And really work at being a good friend to people.

    Your kiddos always make me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your blog and your writing, it's always so uplifting and "real". Great post! I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my goodness. your kids are so precious! i love this! Thank you so much for sharing! Being genuine is so important! I agree with everything you said! Thanks for sharing!

    itsjustcalledspicy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it....yes our children do teach us so much :)

    ReplyDelete