December 2, 2011

Nothing But Blue Skies in the house

 

Hello Everyone! Happy Friday! Today I have a special guest visiting. She is Sarah Kate and one of the first bloggy friends I made. I will always be grateful for her warm personality and enthusiasm she has shown towards me and my blog. Go pay her a visit. You will enjoy her. Take it away Sarah Kate!

***

sarahkate

I’m Sarah Kate. I run a little blog called Nothing But Blue Skies . Over there you’ll find a whole bunch of ramblings, the occasional recipe, and plenty of tales of our adventures on the farm. Most importantly, I try to make the blog a positive place. I know life isn’t perfect, but when you learn to focus on the good, you start to see it everywhere. But don’t worry – I’m not going to get all sappy. You won’t have to cue the Full House music just yet. ;o)

Today I’m going to be sharing with you five unexpected things I’ve learned since moving out to the country a year ago…

1. If you buy a drafty old farmhouse, expect it to sound like the creepiest haunted house ever at just the slightest gust of wind. Also know that this same farmhouse will have faulty electrical and when the wind picks up, the electricity will go out leaving you alone in the dark with scary wind coming through your windows. (When this happens, you’ll find me huddled in my bed with the candles lit and an assorted array of weapons at my side.)

2. There are all kinds of animals hiding in the woods, and the scariest of them come out at night. Just 2-3 coyotes can sound like a pack of 100. It’s enough to make a grown man take off at a full sprint to the house and lock the doors.

3. You will step in some sort of poo at least once a day. In my case, the culprit is normally the chickens. I just don’t understand why they can’t be like cats and go in the same spot every time. Maybe one day I will learn how to train them. In the meantime, I’m rarely ever barefoot outside.

4. There will be no more lazy Saturdays. Every weekend will be filled with some sort of outdoor work to maintain your property. There is always hay to be cut, fences to be mended, wood to be chopped, and on and on. Unexpected bonus: You will be in the best shape of your life. Lazy Saturdays are overrated. :o)

5. This is the kicker, folks. Just because you live in the middle of nowhere and are hidden from view from any possible neighbors, don’t think you can go outside and water your plants in your skivvies. It is inevitable that the FedEx delivery guy will show up at that exact time and catch you in a very awkward situation. Then you’ll be forced to stop ordering stuff online, or face the FedEx guy again. I’m not sure which is worse.

Thanks for reading!! And a big thank you to Vivian for offering me the opportunity to guest post over here at her wonderful blog! I hope you all have a very happy holiday season!!

12 comments:

  1. hehe-i know what you mean about the fedex guy . my parents (the family home) live in the country-and on hot sunny days in scotland (they do happen) i would think-its ok, no one is around...eh eh.never a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Sounds like country living is definitely interesting... #5 made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks again for letting me guest post!!!! I had so much fun writing this!!! :o) Have a great weekend, darlin'!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA, HA love that last one.
    I'm not sure what would be worse either.

    Great guest...on my way over to her blog...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha...#1 gave me all sorts of images of me hiding in my bed with a flashlight while my kids hid in the blankets next to me! My husband, of course, would come home and calm us all down, lol!

    Carla @ Jansen Family Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Sarah Kate! I lived on my grandparents dairy farm for a short while and the one thing I remember was that the work was NEVER done! But I loved so much about it, even that cow smell brings back great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha, that takes me back to life on the farm. Our fireplace used to make this horrible howling noise when it was windy. And I was known to dance around naked in the living room when my parents and brother weren't home. But back then we didn't order much online so I was safe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Vivian! Nice to 'meet' you! :)

    Haha! Love the last one! I'll be sure to keep these in mind if I ever think of getting a farm ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm following over here, found this blog from Sarah Kate :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. She's just adorable, isn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness....I totally did not grow up on a farm and I didn't realize that chickens poop! HAHAH. I'm a dork! I am heading to check out your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. #5 would be very awkward indeed! And I'm laughing at the comment above! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete