December 12, 2011

No regrets

A friend passed away yesterday. He was driving to work early in the morning, his car rolled over. He died leaving his wife and two small children. We are saddened by the loss. He was such a good man. We believe that families can be together forever and that his family (and us) will see him again. That doesn’t make it any easy to not wonder why him, why at this time. It’s not easy.

When I found out about this tragedy, I was having more than the typical day. I had clearly over committed and had been rushing all day to get from place to place trying to get everything done. I almost lost it. I was already hyperventilating when I realized that here she was, my friend who had just lost her husband: alone. I still have mine and I still have my family. I rather have a so called crazy, busy, overscheduled life than to not have my family at all. I’m grateful.

I thought about the time of the day in which my friend left for work: 4 am. I questioned:  Did him and his wife said their usual goodbyes? Did they say I love you?  If it had been my situation: probably not. My husband is also an early “riser.” I am not. I wouldn’t wake up for “that sort of thing.” Not sure I will now but if I am going to take anything good out of this experience is to always ALWAYS remember to express my love and appreciation to my family. You never know what you are going to get thrown at you in life, you never know if that’ the last time you may see that special someone. I don’t want to live with regrets. I refuse to! (I asked Amor to start leaving me again the love notes I used to find each morning when I woke up). 

In the midst of all these emotions, I remember my visit to the great-grandparents not long ago. We hadn’t seen them in a while. Because of their poor health, they are now housebound and can’t drive. It looks like sadly they don’t get many family visitors these days except from the daily nurses visits. I feel horrible it took me so long to go see them.IMG_20111120_180320-1

We had an absolute lovely time. The kids had so much fun playing with all the toys still at their house from years past. We listened to Christmas music, looked at old picture albums, and with real dissected sea horses in hand, heard them tell stories of their travels abroad.IMG_20111120_174342

 

IMG_20111120_192136-1

I know we made them very happy. I also know this visit wasn’t enough. I want to be better, I want my children to have plenty of memories and stories to tell about their ancestors. I want to let go of the things that don’t matter. I want to serve more, love more. I want to have no regrets

 

P.s: On the funny side: Only one thing could that mouse trap get instead of a mouse, my son’s finger (of course). Poor guy. He had never seen one of those and didn’t know what it was. What can I say? Hmmmm…We don’t usually have mice in my home…who does? IMG_20111120_191925-1

 

Have you enter my Bed Bath and Beyond giveaway?  You should! Only two days left!

Happy Monday Friends!

 

Linking up here and here

12 comments:

  1. oh no :( so sorry for your loss and for your friend. that is a tragedy. prayers for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your friend and her family will be in my prayers. That's so tragic. Hope you and your family are doing okay, as well! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO heartbreaking!! Thank goodness to know families can be together forever. I can't imagine how hard this must be for her- especially this time of year. My heart goes out to them. As for the rest of it- living without regrets- I'm with you girl! I say that all the time to myself- remind myself that life and my time here isn't guaranteed. It can be taken in an instant from me. I stop and think often if it were to be taken NOW where am I? What did I accomplish in my life- or even today? Thanks for the reminder to cherish each moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vivian! I'm sorry for your loss. Your friend is in a better place right now. I will be uttering my prayers too. Take advantage of the season to see them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Them, i meant your grandparents :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry for your loss! Thank you very much for the reminder to be grateful for what you have. I need those reminders every so often! I will be praying for you and for your friend!
    ♥ Kyna

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a tragedy. It makes me feel so thankful for what I've got right now. Life is too short to be taken for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry for your loss. What a sad situation for your friend's family and you to have to go through.

    Yes, time is short and we must cherish every moment. I am so glad you had that special time with your family. They look like they are beaming with joy with your children.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think just about everyone in the country has mice in their house. Unless you have a cat, or little sneaky traps. :o)

    I'm sorry about your friend who lost his life. That really is a tragedy. I'll be praying for his family. I hope they'll find comfort in friends and family like you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Life is so precious and we should enjoy it everyday and not I my when something tragic happens!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww friend I am so sorry to hear that. Your post was beautiful and really puts things into perspective. I will give my hubby and kids extra kisses tonight.

    ReplyDelete