December 5, 2011

My Advent Calendar

 I made this Advent Calendar last year after I saw it somewhere where I can’t remember (before there was Pinterest and I could file pretty ideas in an orderly fashion). I will tell you that as I was putting my Christmas decorations up, I was more excited about this one, than the actual Christmas tree.

I posted about it last year when I had like what? ...5 followers. But because I so LOVE the way it turned out, I believe it to be worth repeating the post.

calendar2

 

You will need:

plastic cups (I bought the common red party cups from Target)

DSCN1765[1]

twine (from Hobby Lobby)

tree branches (got trees in your backyard?)

a single hole punch opener

Christmas flowers for that extra touch and color

 

It was very easy to make but it does take some time.

 

1. Spray paint the cups with silver paint. For the numbers I used white craft paint.DSCN1764[1]  

2. While the paint dries cut the branches to the desired length using garden scissors.

3. Make two holes with hole punch opener on the upper part of cups. Run a small string of twine trough both holes. 

4. After all the cups have their holders (or twine) place them in branch. Then tie the branches to each other ( I made 5 rows so you’ll need to tie five branches to each other).  I didn't really measure anything, just kind of did it by eye.

5. At the end, I added some Christmas flowers to the corners.

I am not only depositing candy and treats inside the cups, but my kids will find little messages at times or vouchers for activities we will do.

Needless to say my kids are so EXCITED!

Let the countdown begin!!

 

 

Linking up here and here

Tip Junkie handmade projects

17 comments:

  1. Wow! Beautiful! What a fun craft!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun activity! I love it! You're soo creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so neat!!!! I think that's the prettiest one I've seen yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks fantastic. So creative..but you always are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Vivian! What a unique way to do an advent calendar. I think I can share this to my nieces and nephews. We can do this.. hopefully :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. how lovely is this..i made a bootleg version of advent calendar! yours is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved my mom's advent calendar when I was a child! LOVED it! How adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that idea! It turned out great! You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome calendar! And so much better than the store bought ones that just have that sad, waxy piece of chocolate in them. I also love that it's so cheap to make. I have plastic red cups lying around the house now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cute idea! I love it :) I did our own advent calendar also. I bought some Muslim bags from etsy, decorated them with Christmas stamps and filled the little bags with a treat or two and activities for each day. they are now hanging on our tree :)

    'Tis the season!

    xoxo

    P.S. You will love the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, it is so much fun and very magical!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable! I love handmade Advent calendars!:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, this came out great. And is all the trend this year. You were ahead of the curve. :) Nice job!!
    Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your little family is full of love. May your family always healthy and wealthy.



    Calendar Template

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is my favorite one of the year! I have seen a lot, believe me I have stalked them on Pinterest. Great work!

    ReplyDelete