December 28, 2011

Melanie from Keeping up with the Cantelmo’s

 
Today I happily introduce you to Melanie. She sure is an amazing person. I have enjoyed learning about her and her story. I admire her strength and courage. She is an example to many so go check her out. You will find her blog as source of inspiration.
Take it away Melanie!
 
***
 
I’m so excited to be sharing with all you Dance for 5 readers.
Thank you Vivian for allowing me to share today!
My name is Melanie Cantelmo and I blog over at
I started blogging to keep my family updated on our daily lives.
Soon I realized I could bless others with my blog.
My goal with my blogging is to be real and encouraging.
I hope I can be a blessing to you today!
For the past 6 months our family has been going through a challenging season. My husband lost his job this past June. He has been unable to find a job in his field, so he has picked up extra hours at a local cigar shop to help make ends meet. Not ideal but we have to survive.
We have also experienced some interesting illnesses in our family during this time. I was in the hospital for a few days in August and my son Luke was in the hospital this past week. 
As you can tell, this season has not been an easy one for us.
 Today I want to share with you how we survive challenging times.
Hopefully these tips will help you if you are going through a hard time.
Remind yourself of who you are
Just because my husband lost his job doesn’t mean he is any less of a person. Just because we are struggling financially doesn’t mean we are bad parents. My husband and I have to take time to remind ourselves who we are, we are still valuable people who have a lot to offer despite our current situation.
Take time for renewal
Go on a bike ride, long walk, head to the bookstore, or a take long bath. Schedule time for yourself. This is helps me survive! My husband and I trade, I go on a long bike ride and he gets to meet up with a friend. It’s such a blessing!
Remind yourself that this is only a season
So cliché but “This too shall pass.” This is literally how I get through! Everyday I just tell myself that there will be an end and there are better times ahead.
Don’t compare yourself to anyone else
Isn’t this so hard? Sometimes I get caught up in “they have it so easy” or “why can’t I have _____.” Then I just have to remind myself “the grass is always greener on the other side.”
Ask for help
I hate asking for help. It’s a pride thing. But sometimes I just have to do it.
Yesterday a friend brought us dinner, I can’t tell you how much this dinner blessed our family!
Trust in His plan
Even though the season we are going through is hard. I know God has plans for us. We are growing closer together as a family, I am becoming stronger and my faith is growing. God is so good!
Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Count your blessings
I always try to remind myself all the things we do have. Full bellies, roof over our head and lots of love! That’s really all we need.
Make a “to do” list
This just helps me stay on task and not get caught up in worry or fear. It keeps me focused.
Serve someone else
Even though we don’t have much money right now, I try to take time to do something for someone else. Maybe we surprise someone with a kind note or cookies. Or help them with my time. Whatever it is, it takes the focus off of me and onto them.
Take time to mourn the loss of your plans
It’s okay to feel sad or angry about what you are going through. I have spent plenty of nights feeling sad or angry. I try to journal about my feelings. This helps me process what I’m going through without denying my emotions. 
Remember that you are not alone
Share what you are going through! You'd be surprised at how many people are going through or have just been through similar circumstances.
If you are going through a hard time,
I would love to connect (melaniemd@live.com) with you or pray for you.
You can read more of my story here.
Thank you, Vivian for allowing me to share today!
Love,

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful cross post. I can't wait to go check out the Cantelmo blog and enjoy all the ways she shares opportunities with others to see beautiful!

    Happy seeing beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Vivian! I've been enjoying the features you are making in your blog. It's always a pleasure to know more people here in the blogosphere. I think Melanie is an epitome of an ideal woman. I admire her and the lessons she shared. I'm heading to her blog after this comment. :)

    By the way, if it is not too much to ask, may I invite you to join my giveaway

    http://dianewantstowrite.blogspot.com/2011/12/its-giveaway-time.html

    Thank you and wishing you all the best in 2012! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww..what a sweet post. Hope you and your family have an awesome 2012 Vivian!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post. one of the great things about blogging is getting the encouragement from others that have walked or are walking the same path you are and taking comfort in knowing that you're not alone.

    wishing melanie and you, vivian, and your families a happy and prosperous new year. xo

    ReplyDelete