December 19, 2011

Christmas around the world

Our church held its annual Christmas party this year themed no other than: “Christmas around the world.”

The cultural hall had a variety of country flags adjoined to all the walls. The dinning tables were decorated with centerpieces that consisted of different country’s souvenirs and memorabilia. These are some of the things I had that were used for the Colombia table. IMG_20111217_172531

One of my most favorites was this nativity scene from IsraelIMG_20111217_180615

The “flight itinerary from SLC- Utah to Bogota - Colombia.” These itineraries were the actual programs for the party and each table had their own itinerary depending on the country.IMG_20111217_180950 

Each family brought a dish to share representing a different country. The food was abundant and delicious. I specially enjoyed being able to try foods from the Philippines, Italy and Russia.

My family’s contribution was Natilla, see here. Below, one of the dessert tables.IMG_20111217_175818

The kids came dressed up in typical costumes from the country they were representing. My kids were dressed up with Colombian costumes typical from the northern region where I come from. These costumes are called Garabato and are used more common around the month of February when the Carnival is held.

IMG_20111217_172844

There was a play, which plot was about a mother teaching her little girl how children celebrate Christmas around the world and although miles away and languages away, the meaning of Christ’s birth is the same.IMG_20111217_182228 

As part of the play the kids got to go up on stage and while holding a sign with the country they were representing, wish Merry Christmas to the public in many different languages. This was followed by a Polynesian Christmas dance performed by the youth and a live nativity.

IMG_20111217_182321

This is how we gear up for a special holiday season. One of those perfect mixes of fun, spirituality and culture. We are so blessed to be part of this community. I love that my kids are learning to love the Savior, to know what he did for us and to embrace each and every culture around us.

Stay tuned to see part II of my pre-Christmas’ Celebrations galore!

 

 

7 comments:

  1. Hi Vivian! I love watching Xmas related plays, especially with the kids :) I was happy to hear that you enjoyed some food from the Philippines. It made me a proud Filipino :) may i know what dish did you enjoy? :) enjoy the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like such fun. And you love your Natilla! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for a ward Christmas party!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog,I always love when people leave comments which lead me back to their blog so I can become their newest follower. :)
    http://saydiluhoo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vivian! Recently ran across your blog and I am really enjoying it!!! Your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a cool theme! and so educational!! :) blessings to you today friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a special celebration your kids got to take part in!!! So awesome!!

    ReplyDelete