November 21, 2011

Roots, Wings and other Things is in the house!

First off did you know that my second language is not English but actually German? And did you know that I’ve traveled to many places and I’m FAR from being rich? I assure you there is SO MUCH you don’t know about me. Then you should go here and ask ME. I heart questions!

Did you see I’m almost at 300 followers? If you spread the word about my beloved little blog, and help me gain more followers, you are in for another treat. Remember my target gift card giveaway? I think I’m in the mood for another one of those…just on time for the Holidays.(hint). 

And speaking of Germany, Daryl from Roots and Wings and other Things is visiting today. Daryl is an American living in Germany and her blog is simply fascinating. Her stories about what is like to live far away from home will keep you coming back. I am guest posting at her blog as well, so I can’t wait to “see” you there, too. Enjoy my friends!

Take it away Daryl!

***


Hello beautiful readers of A Dance For Five! My name is Daryl and I blog over at Roots, Wings, and Other Things. I am so happy to be guest posting here today. In fact, when Vivian contacted me about sharing tales of Thanksgivings past, I couldn't have been more excited because I knew EXACTLY what I wanted to post about.

Last year's Thanksgiving was one of my most memorable holiday experiences and I've been itching to blog about it for some time. For those of you who don't know, I met my now-husband while working as an Au Pair in Germany last year. We'd started dating in early September, but it wasn't until mid-November that things began to grow more serious and we started to realize that this was no little fling. It was also about this time that I began to truly miss my friends and family back home. I heard word of friends returning home from school to spend Thanksgiving with their families, of my own family having a huge reunion I wouldn't be able to attend, of nieces and nephews (pseudo or the real thing) having their "first" everything and me missing all of it.  I had enrolled in Homesickness 101, and I was quickly earning an A++. 

Having my first Thanksgiving away from family didn't help either. You could imagine my surprise when my (German) boyfriend of only two months tells me that his family would like to make Thanksgiving dinner for me this year. I was shocked. Shocked, but grateful. Steven's mom and I got together and we got to planning, and then came the execution: a gorgeous Thanksgiving dinner with Turkey, stuffing, twice-baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, lots of other potatoes, roasted squash, corn bread, green bean casserole, and of course we can't leave out pumpkin pie. Each bite felt like warmth and wonder and home.

During dinner, each person went around and talked about what we were thankful for. With the exception of my boyfriend who had served an LDS mission in America, no one besides me had celebrated Thanksgiving before. They didn't know me well, in fact some of them I'd barely spoken to at that point...and yet there they were, a bunch of Germans taking part in an American tradition to make a stranger feel more at home. At that moment, these people weren't just my boyfriend's family....they were my family too. I've never been more thankful.

...some people weren't ready for this photo.

....or this one.

My beautiful (now) sisters-in-law, Janine and Jamie.
This was the day that everything changed. A beautiful act of kindness from Steven and his family changed my perspective of them forever; they were not just nice people I enjoyed being around for the time being...they were a family I knew I would love to be a part of.
Happy (Almost) Thanksgiving, Everyone!

6 comments:

  1. This is truly beautiful and so kind of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, her eyes in the first picture are magical. Wow.

    YAY for almost 300 followers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sweet!!!! What a great Thanksgiving story! One of my best friends married a British man and moved to London last year. His family did the same thing for her!

    Congrats on 300 followers!!! That is a HUGE accomplishment!!! Movin' on up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is so sweet! i love everything German/Germany because i studied abroad there! The people there are so friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love daryls blog..was happy to see it here :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Vivian!!! I was so happy to guest post. :)

    <

    ReplyDelete