1. I LOVE birthdays.
2. I LOVE celebrating them and making a BIG deal out of them.
3. I’m lucky to have such special family and friends who also believe in making BIG DEAL of that ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY of YOU.
4. I don’t like telling people how old I am. My own kids don’t even know because I KNOW they will tell. You can say it’s got to be a Colombian thing. After all, we are raised to never ask a lady how old she is because it’s bad manners. Here it’s such a common rather frivolous question but not for me.
5. It’s my birthday month. It always falls either on Thanksgiving day or around it. If you want to know how that feels: LAME. Many of my friends and family are usually out of town or busy with their own Thanksgiving agenda.
6. We don’t celebrate Thanksgiving in Colombia so I got to have, for my first 17 years of life, ALL my birthdays ALL to myself without having to share them with turkey and sweet potatoes.
7. I’ve danced at almost all my birthdays (even since I was a baby).
8. I have a friend who is a celebrity. When we were in our teens, she surprised in more than one of my birthdays and serenaded me by singing my favorite songs from that moment in time. It was beautiful. She forever touched me. She was no one yet…just my friend. No one has done that for me since.
9. My kids have been counting the days to celebrate ME. Well, truth is, mainly my daughter. I promised her she gets to go to the spa with me…don’t ask what I was thinking when I did that. She is convinced she will be getting a massage…what a “hard” life she has (ha!).
I look at this pictures and think about how, ever since I became a mother, my birthdays have a different meaning. Every day, especially on that day, I thank my Father in Heaven that I get to spend one more year with my children. I also realize that, not too long ago, they looked that little. They are much grown up now and their baby faces are pretty much gone. I miss my son’s curly hair. I see my old house and all the memories we left there. Our first home, the home where our three children were born. I see the homemade Tres Leches Cake and I have the sudden urge to eat a whole one by myself. This post must stop now. Too dangerous. I’m still on a diet.
So how about you?