October 11, 2011

Guest appearance by the Quick Journey


Hi Friends! Today I am posting over at Liz’s blog, The quick journey. Make sure you come visit me there and see what my pumpkins have been up to lately.

Let me introduce you to Liz: a sweet and sassy, mommy of two that loves to play with her kids, surf the blogosphere, and create new and exciting things.  She and her hubby raise their kids in rural America where they minister to the community and enjoy the 'slow' life. I am so excited she is doing this great tutorial about reupholstering a chair, something I’ve always wanted to learn so let’s give her some LOVE! 
Here she is... take it away, Liz!!!

***

Hey all you Dance for 5 fans!  I am Liz, from The Quick Journey


I am so excited to be guest posting for you all.  I am a stay-at-home mommy to two amazing blessings. 

  
I am a total imposter in the DIY world, but I snuck in somehow, and I'm loving every minute of it. 
My blog is full of posts on fashion, awesome Before & Afters, faith, food, and family





Today, I am going to show you a before & after of a chair that my sister-in-law and I did.  This was my first time reupholstering, and I think it was quite the success.  Okay, this is how this Cinderella story all went down:
There once was a chair... that needed some some "quick" tender loving care (Corny, I know... but, it rhymes).
She started out as a sad, unwanted, green piece of furniture.  She was only $10, so we thought we would give her a face lift of sorts. 

Before:

You've either seen her in you doctor's waiting room 20 years ago, or in your grandma's sitting room.  Either way, she's seriously neglected.
The first thing you do when reupholstering is to take it apart, piece by piece, and document where each piece went.  My sister-in-law wrote a number on each piece of old fabric so we would know how to put it back together and what went where.


Here is the chair right before we started puzzling it together.  We used the old fabric to trace and cut the new fabric so we were sure it would fit properly.  We were both elementary teachers prior to being mommies, so we were down with the whole "trace and cut" situation. 
The first piece you take off of your chair you mark as #1, and so on and so forth, stay with me as I explain how to put it back together.  We had 7 pieces.  The last piece you take off is the first to go back on... #7 is first to be put back on and we ended with #1.  Got it??

(forgive the blurry pics)

Now for the final reveal.  She is quite a beaut, so picture in your mind lovely music playing as you gaze upon her fabulousness. 


Hello, gorgeous!  This project was so much fun and we were so pleased with the outcome.  Above, is the chair pictured in my sister-in-law's home office.  

A little FYI to take with you as you blog about...
The Quick Journey has hit over 100 followers since it's humble beginnings this last spring and will have a giveaway next Wednesday.  I will be giving away a handmade headband to one lucky reader who follows my blog, and you get another entry for liking my facebook page


Make sure you follow The Quick Journey so you don't miss out on the awesome giveaway.  
Thank you, Vivian, for letting me join you on Dance for 5!!
 

4 comments:

  1. First of all she is beautiful, Second, that chair is amazing! I am blown away at how great it came out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great chair makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. those are definitely two beautiful blessings! what a great guest post!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the chair - so adorable. I've done the same thing with brown zebra print! :)

    ReplyDelete