September 14, 2011

The past and the gift of music

Some of us have been blogging for a while now. Some of us for not so long. Once you get to know someone in blog land and see their present and hope to stay as part of their future, don’t you wonder what their past was like??

I believe we shouldn’t live in the past and to always look forward for a better tomorrow. But we have to give credit to our past that we are who we are because of it. I will be starting a link party where you’d get a chance to share something about your past, whether it was something that made you proud, happy or even something that made you cry. It truly is SO uplifting learning from people’s REAL experiences.

We will start this link party in the near future. I just wanted to give you a heads up and invite you to please please please share your stories. For now I leave you with this simple fact about my past:

Vivian006

This is me right before church. I notice my bag on top of the piano. I used to carry that bag full of my piano books wherever I went. It was heavy.

I used to play. I started when I was 5. At a tender age of 10 I was already playing in sacrament meeting (the combined meeting for all age groups) for my church. There weren’t any other members in my city who owned a piano and let alone play it. I think about how young I was having to be in front of a large congregation and play to perfection. It was SO HARD. I remember messing up at times and people looking at me funny. It didn’t stop me. I continued playing for 7 more years until I moved here and I couldn’t bring my piano with me. As a young adult discovering a new world it was the “perfect” time and opportunity to quit, so I thought. I regret that decision.

I’ve started playing again. I’m thankful for the gift of music. I’m thankful it is still in me and that I can share that with those I love the most.

 

Linking up here and here

8 comments:

  1. I love the idea for your link up. I have a post that will work very well for it :)
    I hope I get to start playing piano again soon. I never realized how much I loved it until I stopped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post and a wonderful idea! I did piano lessons for a short while in Prep school. I wish I had continued the lessons. At least I learnt to play the recorder well. My twin and I even played our recorders at devotion in front of the whole school. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great idea! Looking forward to it :)

    Just found your blog through a linkup on and then she snapped.. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a wonderful idea! I'm a new follower from the "Give a Hoot" hop, and I can't wait for the event! Sounds great! I know what you mean about making so many friends in the blogging world and wondering about their histories, and how they got to where they are. Beautiful blog.

    I write a humor blog about all things motherhood at Misadventures in Motherhood. It's usually good for a laugh, and sometimes even a snort or two. Hope you can stop by!

    Smiles, and enjoy the rest of your week!

    -Jenn www.misadventuresinmotherhood.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Following from Give a Hoot. Your idea is a great one. I would love to be a part of that. It was a profound past experience that truly changed my life. Reflecting on the past is good, living in the past - not so much.

    http://killsuperwoman.blogspot.com (personal blog) and my vintage fashion blog is
    http://cjsrecloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Vivian! I love this post. I also love reading articles where I discover the life of my fellow bloggers. Your are so blessed to have that talent. My frustration in life by the way was I never learned to play any musical instrument. I remember you told me in my blog that your mom was a voice teacher. She would have students practice in your home. I am always amazed by families who have music in their blood.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh goodness. I love this idea. Cannot wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, thats very interesting information. I need to share with my friends.Piano Teacher belmont ca

    ReplyDelete