September 29, 2011

My bucket list thanks to Melanie Jacobson

 

bucketlist

So I saw this movie once called the Bucket List. In over 15 years of living in this country, I had never learned of the term: Bucket List. There is not such a term in the Spanish language, nor the notion of creating one, at least not in my world. I was raised making it always a point of creating goals but never involving death in the process. Those goals sounded something like:

“get better grades this term

“be more respectful to my parents daily

“show more love to my family all year

“get into the best University when I finish High School

“marry a handsome Prince at twenty five” -- I aspired for higher things as a little girl – etc.

Check this out: From Bucket List to “Lista de cosas para hacer antes the morir.” See how long? There is no shorter version of its translation without losing its meaning. Wonder why Colombians don’t make bucket lists! By the time you are done with the long title you are to tired to even start thinking… (HA!)

Right around that time is when I start blogging. And I run into this fantastic lady's blog who just has released her first book called The List about this girl, Ashley, who has watched her mom and older sisters struggle through life because they married early. When she turned 18, she created a bucket list to help her live life with no regrets--a list of things for her to do to really experience life before she gets married.

The author is having a giveaway for her book and I WANT IT! Part of the rules of the giveaway is to create your very own bucket list. So, because I REALLY like the fact that you don’t have to use your death as a timeline, and because I’m not your ordinary Colombian and, more or less. define myself as acculturated, and I want to do something I have never done before: I create my very own 10 things to do before I have another baby. So far so good. I’m happy to report that I’ve accomplished four of the items and there is NO baby near!  Number 3 (the legs) is kicking my butt…grrrr… But that’s a complete Whole- New- Post!

And that’s how a pretty cool friendship started. I had the pleasure of finally meeting Melanie last week when she came to Utah from California for the signing of her most recent book

SN852068

She makes me laugh. We come from different worlds but have found our bonding similarities, among those our affinity for striking a diva pose in front of the camera.  She will entertain you with with her fun and quirky writing. I HIGHLY recommend her.

P.s:  Go to one of her signings and you are in for a treat: She makes the best mint chocolate fudge ever!

 

Embracing the camera here today

6 comments:

  1. Hi Vivian! I'm checking this one out. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds wonderful that she released her book. I'm definitely going to check it out. Bucket lists are a great way to accomplish moments in your life that you truly want. I think it's great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bucket list before the next baby sounds like a great idea to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Randomly I actually just visited Melanie's blog today. Her book sounds so fun! Good luck with your bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool, sounds like a great book. I love the bucket list before baby list. Fun idea. I love how the internet can make the world seem so much smaller and we can meet people we may never have otherwise! Great Pic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melanie here! I enjoyed this piece, please email me--I have a question about your blog. MelanieLBowen[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete