July 27, 2011

My kind of music icon

I was saddened to hear the news of the death of Joe Arroyo.  I don’t think I’ve ever danced to anyone’s music as much as his. My country, specially my city will never be the same without him. Talk about a music legacy and a legend.

Great clip that can only briefly give you an idea of who he was, why he settled in Barranquilla (the city with the people with the biggest hearts) and how music means more than everything to Colombians:

“ Only in Colombia music can move schedules, tables even libraries.” Keep in mind he was already at the end of his days here… 

 

And this song brings the best memories from my youth… the quinceañeros, the trips and parties at the beach, Carnaval (if you don’t know what that means see here) and much of my musical essence.

 

You can take the girl out of Barranquilla, but Barranquilla will never be taken out of the girl, so you might as well say: En Barranquilla me quedo!!

5 comments:

  1. thanks for this post! es muy cierto, este hombre ha dejado un legado increible! igualmente como tu creci con el Joe en todas las fiestas, navidades, todos los dias se escuchaba sus canciones y con tanto ritmo que nunca me canse de escucharlas.. hasta ahora todavia no me canso de escucharlas! En Barranquilla me quedo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so hard losing someone that represents such nostalgia! Aren't you lucky that his music can live forever! Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jorge was really bummed all yesterday. He said he felt as if a piece of his childhood was lost. But it's true, the music never dies, just the person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, your comment on my blog was TOO funny. And so what I bet Sebi was thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello--I came over from the haute mom /FTLOB blog hop.

    It is sad to lose a musical icon such as Arroyo--however--he can live in your heart each time you listen to him!

    Cheers, Jenn
    http://www.wine-n-chat.com

    ReplyDelete