May 13, 2011

Arepas de Queso (Cheese Corn Cakes)

Hola. I’m Jodi. And I married Vivian’s cute, sexy, smart, sweet, little brother Jorge.



And we have a cute little prince named Sebastian…


I LOVE to cook (and eat) So, I am going to guest post today about a typical breakfast fare in Colombia: AREPAS.  The ingredients make them sound really fattening but when you see how skinny Colombian people are, they must be okay. My family LOVES them.


1/3 cup white corn meal (I use P.A.N. from Colombia)

1/3 cup warm water
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. butter
2/3 cup grated white farmer’s cheese (I use Mexican Queso)

In a bowl mix: cornmeal, warm water, salt and butter with your (clean) hands until a nice mushy paste is formed. Add the grated cheese and continue mixing everything together with your hands. Warm a buttered skillet or griddle over medium heat. Form the arepas  into flat 4-inch cakes (this recipe should make 5). Place on griddle and cook two minutes on each side. When arepas are finished cooking, place on paper towels to absorb some of the grease before serving.

My boys enjoying Arepas de Queso…



(not pictured: a very cute Jorge, bed head and all!)

And maybe, just maybe next time I will surprise my Colombian husband with these…

The fried egg goes in the middle. Don’t ask me how they do it. And of course leave it to Jorge to make these his favorite kind of Arepas.

Bon Apetit!
Jodi


11 comments:

  1. Those look so tasty! I think my famiy would down these snacks quickly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Colombian friend has been telling me about this and it's been making my mouth water. I can't wait to try your recipe!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank looks great! Love Colombian food! I will have to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola! I just found you through a blog hop. I'd love to learn more about Colombia, its food and its culture, so I decided to follow you. I hope you can follow back too; I'd appreciate it a lot ;-) Have a lucky day!

    ~Vanessa & Avalon, http://avalon-lion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found you through Monday Mingle! Boy do those look good. Following and sharing this recipe as a link for my friends.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Following you from the blog hop. I'd love for you to follow back!
    Tiffany
    http://tiffspixiedust.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, new follower from Mingle Monday! Please stop by Money Savvy Mama to see what freebies and coupons you can find! I also have a $25 Paypal giveaway going on!!!!

    Cecelia~moneysavvymama.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've not had Columbian food (that I'm aware of). This sounds great...thanks for sharing! I'm a new GFC follower from Monday Mingle. http://www.grandmasguidetolife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. MMMM, they look delicious. Might have to try those tomorrow, actually!!

    Nancy

    I'm your newest follower. If you'd like to follow back, you can find me at http://thatsoundslikecrazy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I fell in love with arepas de queso when I visited Colombia last year. I've been looking for a great recipe ever since, and I think this is it! They taste almost exactly like what I bought from the street vendors there (except I think that my cheese might be a bit different?). Thanks so much for posting this recipe - it's made my day. (And I think I might have to try the arepas de huevo next ... they sound wonderful!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. yummy!!! I'm going to look for Colombian corn meal next time I'm in a Latin market...

    ReplyDelete