April 10, 2011

Fabric Eggs

Growing up, right before the holidays, my mom and I would make our own Christmas tree ball ornaments out of Styrofoam and all sorts of fabric remnants. They turned out lovely and were such a hit because of its uniqueness and creativity. As I remembered those past times, I decided I wanted to create the same but this time for Easter. I can’t tell you how emotional this was going back to my childhood and trying out a skill, that even through the years, I never forgot.

I hope that if you share this idea you link it back to me, since this is solely my mom’s creation dating back to Colombia from many many years ago

You will need: Styrofoam eggs which I found @ Hobby Lobby for $3.99. (I used the 40% off coupon so it ended up being less than that) **Just a note to the side I don’t understand why Styrofoam here is SO expensive! It’s very cheap in Colombia, hence the reason why we decorated our tree with those kind of balls.We used to buy dozens and dozens of those and that ended up being cheaper than buying the typical crystal ones **

A metal nail file. Metal works the best because you will need to apply pressure into the Styrofoam as you put in the fabric and the file won’t bend as you do that.

Small pieces of fabric in all sorts of colors

A wood stick

A flower pot ($1.00 @ Target spot )

Ribbon

Start with stretching the piece of fabric and then push the corners in all the way with the nail file  

When done with the first piece move on to the other fabric pieces always working each piece next to each other until you’ve filled every empty space.

It will end up looking like this. Then insert the wood stick 

Place it in the middle of Styrofoam (for balance and stability) in a flower pot

Add the Easter grass and… there you have it!!

Ready to give my porch the much needed Easter look.

Tutorial for newspaper easter eggs here





What I'm Making MondayKeeping It Simple

Pink Hippo Party


17 comments:

  1. That may be the coolest thing I've ever seen mama! You rock!! be sure to link this tomorrow on my What I'm makin Monday post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute idea! I love the patchwork look of the egg! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I'm a broken record, but you are SO creative! I love all the craft projects you guys do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it..I am going to have to try that..thank you for sharing. I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sooo cuteeeee, such a great idea! thanks for sharing it and you're so creative!

    i'm your newest follower from the Bloggers Party and Hop at TypeA and would love you to follow me back :)

    Susan at http://tea-diary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is really cute. Your Mom is so creative. I would love to see what Christmas ornaments would look like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop. This fabric egg tutorial is easy to follow and it turned out so pretty! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, these totally remind me of the ornaments I used to make for Christmas! I thought I was so crafty back then!! I never thought of doing it with styrofoam easter eggs! You can even get all jazzy with ribbon and make them look like faberge eggs!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so pretty ! Good job !
    They also have baby bunnies at the store ! Don't go there..It's dangerous ! LOL
    Happy Monday !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey!!! We used to do that too when we were growing up! I remember sitting around my grandma's table with my mom and us kids, and our cousins making Christmas decorations. What a fun memory.

    I love the idea of doing it with eggs. I've never done it with my kids...but I think I will start!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great tutorial. I love how the egg came out. I must try this. I am your latest follower from the blog hop. Hope you stop by and follow me back. Thanks so much. www.diybydesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a unique and fun idea! That is so great that you are finding new ways to use an old tradition. I agree about the styrofoam! It is SO expensive, and it works for SO many projects, so it's really unfortunate about the cost. Thanks again for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is such a cute egg topiary! I hope you stop by the Tuesday To Do party and share it!

    http://blackberryvine.blogspot.com/2011/04/tuesday-to-do-5-and-4-list-makers.html

    Smiles!
    Jami

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are darling! and so great that this holds so much sentiment and memories for you!!! <3

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely adorable! I am so impressed! Thanks for stopping by my blog today--I will definitely be following you too!

    -Anna @ www.writingthislife.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. those are really super nice.... congratulation.....

    ReplyDelete