March 11, 2011

If ye are prepared ye shall not fear

It’s so simple that all it takes is to look around to see in how many ways Heavenly Father is on our side guiding us through our journey.
By no means could’ve I ever known beforehand what was to occur in Japan. But just the day before this tragedy, we were unexpectedly bound to make a change in our Activity Days calendar and our activity ended up being about being prepared.
Was this just a mere coincidence?
When Jesus lived on earth, he taught in parables. One of my favorite parables has always been the parable of the 10 Virgins. There were the foolish five who run out of oil for their lamps and as they left to get more oil they miss the arrival of the bridegroom and hence are excluded from the wedding. And there were the wise five who were ready and able to partake of the marriage feast by having enough oil for their lamps. 

A beautiful picture that represents the parable. Rolled and tied in twine.


Each one of the girls took a turn getting their picture out of the lamp


And then we made lamps out of paper plates (this is the cut out for the lamps)


We folded the plates in half, painted them gold and colored the top with brown marker and glued a yellow drop to the top front of the lamp.

The girls understand the importance of personal and spiritual preparation. They hold their lamps proudly. What an example they are! I want to be more like them.

I’ve been acting like the foolish virgins: guilty of slacking when it comes to having a current supply of emergency essentials and food storage.You would think that just the thought alone of my children suffering would make me want to be the opposite.
I will fear no longer and if there is even a good thing about Japan is that it helps people like me to want to fill their lamps with righteous living and obedience. Although we have been commanded for long of being prepared, I am, once more, grateful for another chance to obey.

5 comments:

  1. This is great. And I am hurting for those people in Japan. I cannot imagine the thought of not knowing if all your loved ones are safe.

    On a lighter note... does your Mom know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great activity! You come up with the best ideas for those activity day girls. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I love the picture you used, it is just beautiful! It is so sad about Japan, and really people without the supplies they need all over the world. I too am a slacker but I am trying to get myself into gear. Something could happen anytime, and I want to take care of my family. Thanks so much for inviting me over, I always enjoy your blog :o)

    aubrie @ http://amamab.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vivian, thanks so much for your comment on my blog! And wow, this post really hit home with me. I SOOOOO need to get my food storage going and now that I have a child of my own it's even more important to me. What a great lesson to do with these kiddos! So true!

    And on a side note... I'm glad my baby isn't the only one who LOVES to eat toilet paper. How weird is that?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome idea! I am sure the girls loved it.

    ReplyDelete